CAR DOORING VIDEO COMPETITION
Car doors are a common and real hazard on the road for cyclists. In Melbourne alone, a cyclist can have a car door open in front of them every second trip.
Sometimes, cyclists are able to avoid crashes by braking or swerving. When they cannot, the result can be catastrophic, leading to serious and sometimes fatal outcomes.
Drivers and passengers do not intentionally ‘door’ cyclists, but it is a hazard that continues to occur far too frequently.
Competition brief: create a video that helps stamp out ‘car dooring’
The Amy Gillett Foundation is committed to creating a safe cycling environment in Australia. Keeping cyclists safe from ‘car dooring’ requires a safe space for cyclists to ride that involves a Safe System approach:
- Safe roads – bike lanes that are away from opening car doors
- Safe people – safe driver and passenger behaviour and safe cycling behaviour
- Safe vehicles – Anti-dooring vehicle technology and safe bicycles with working brakes and lights at low times
- Safe speeds – cyclists travelling at speeds that allow them to stop to avoid a car door and safe vehicle speeds to reduce the crash risk if a cyclist does need to swerve
The approach you take is up to you. 100% your choice. Your call. You’re the director.
Funny, serious, emotional, informative, you decide how to best tackle this serious issue
While it takes a lot of different kinds of work to create change and safer roads for cyclists, video is an important medium to raise awareness and contribute to behaviour change.
Your video clip could be used to add to broader efforts to help stamp out ‘car dooring’. It could have a real impact on the safety of cyclists.
- Maximum length of video clip: 90 seconds
- Teams of up to four people per team (yes, you may be part of more than one team)
- General public – open to everyone
- University Students (all team members in the student category must be enrolled in 2017)
Entries close midnight August 14, 2017
Prizes.. (oh yeah!)
- Each category winner will receive a team trophy
- The People’s Choice winner will receive a team trophy
- All team members will receive a winner’s certificate
- All finalist videos will be presented at the Australasian Road Safety Conference in Perth, October 2017
- All finalist teams will receive feedback from leading creative industry and road safety experts
- All finalists videos will be eligible for the People’s Choice award
Up for it? email us here for more details: firstname.lastname@example.org
Background information and resources on ‘car dooring’
- Dr Marilyn Johnson – ‘Want Safer Cycling? Don’t Dismiss Dooring‘, The Conversation – May 11, 2012
- The Amy Gillett Foundation Submission to Road Safety Amendment (Car Doors) Inquiry 2012
- 2016 Safe Together Competition Finalists